Friday, March 5, 2010

Late

The Scene:  My bed
The Time:   Very late at night
The main character: Me


After being awakened by the typical urge to pee in the middle of the night I climbed back in bed.   Trying to clear my mind and getting back to sleep is often a difficult task.  This night was no different.  I must have been thinking about the week ahead and all that needed to be done and all we would be celebrating: potty training Cameron, cleaning house, grocery shopping and our 7th anniversary.  

When you're a woman, in order to plan well, this thought must run through your brain once a month: "When was my last period?  I should be starting soon."  It's just part of life and so it must be part of your plan.   The next thought that ran through my brain however was not part of the plan: "I can't remember when my last period was.  It seems like it's been awhile!"

Up out of bed and to the calendar posted on the refrigerator.  Sure enough!  I was LATE!  I was certain I was pregnant even before buying a home test.

This was not supposed to happen now.  We wanted more children but this was not "good timing" I thought.  I laid down on the couch and tried not to get upset.  I had always said that a baby is undeniably a happy event and that I never wanted to be disappointed about it.  Sure, we were trying to budget and wanted to be in a "better place financially" before trying again,  the house was small and the boys would have to share a room,  our Chrysler Concorde would be pretty cramped with 3 car seats in the back seat but whoever was growing inside was a blessing and nothing less.

I held my belly and cried and talked to that little person and told him or her that I loved them and that I was so happy he or she was coming.

Two mornings later my suspicions were confirmed by not one but TWO pink lines.  Positive.

*****

With Cameron and Parker  taken care of for the night, I met Brian for dinner - present in hand.  We had agreed that we wouldn't exchange gifts this year [see paragraph 4, line 4].   We ordered Cajun food and our drinks.  I casually slipped him his anniversary present.  "Oh.  That's cute."  *pause*  His eyes popped out of his head and his mouth agape and grinning exclaimed, "REALLY?!"  It had taken him a moment but he understood and I was so thrilled that he was just as excited as I was.


*****

God then proceeded to soften the blow of our first surprise by giving us another.  "I'm a girl!" were the words the tech typed onto our ultrasound.

She was a surprise in the very best way. 


signature