Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Question

I haven't had much to say lately.  Have you noticed?   Hmmmm.... Probably not.

And that's okay because that is kind of what I  want to talk about today.

I've been unsettled and unmotivated lately.  I feel like I haven't had much to contribute lately.  I think it stems from wanting to be something or someone else.  A desire to be attention grabbing, head turning. To be heard and people say, "Ah-Ha!  Exactly what I was thinking/what needed to be said."   To be seen and they say, "Oooo..Lovely!"   To be known... even the ugly stuff... and to be loved and admired.

But "I am what I am." - Popeye

Andy Andrews says in The Noticer,
****
        "You are not receiving opportunities and encouragement that people have to share for a very simple reason.  No one wants to be around you."
....
         "Young man, you must become a person that others want to be around!  This is far and away the greatest success secret in existence."
....
         "I believe you should ask yourself every day, 'What is it about me that other people would change if they could?'"
****
I respectfully disagree.   I'm not saying that the opposite is true either.   That you should just be who you are without any concern for what people think:  to be obstinate, unchanging and cantankerous.  

There is a healthy balance in there somewhere.   Loving yourself, quirks and all, as God made you and yet being moldable - discerning what you could and should change in order to be more like Him.   

So, I want to contribute more.  To give more.  To be more than I am.  But I don't want to lose myself in order to be what everyone else wants.   Especially since they don't all want the same thing. ; )

- Do you agree or disagree with Mr. Andrews?


I know this isn't normally the kind of thing I post here but by now you know I'm just a goofball and have come to expect it. ; )

signature