Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Stretched Thin

Wow!  I don't think I've ever been gone from this here blog for so long.  But remember?  School has started.  And I got so excited about what a great year it was going to be and about the 6 hours I will get to myself each week that I went and volunteered for too many things. 

Now tonight I am feeling stretched thin.  I've been helping for an hour on Mondays in Anna's class and an hour on Tuesdays in the library.  Last Wednesday I ate lunch with Anna at school.  The last few Thursdays have included an Open House at Landon's preschool, lunch with the boys and/or dance class after school for Anna.  By Friday I'm wiped out but this week I had to clean house because my family was coming over for my nephew's 1st birthday party that weekend.   

Don't you feel tired after reading that?  I'm tired just typing it out.  

And all of that is in addition to the regular house cleaning, laundry, helping with homework, corralling or shooing away the neighbor kids, planning and meeting for my trip to the equator and teaching Sunday school.

This morning while helping at the school library I discovered that I had been put on the volunteer schedule for every week!  Something that I had not volunteered to do.  At first I said that it would be fine to leave me on the list but tonight I couldn't get to sleep thinking about all the places and people I've committed myself to.  I determined that if I didn't scale back on some of those things that I would end up "committed" ... in some kind of mental institution!
So, I've sent off an e-mail to the librarian the dates that I can definitely help over the next couple of months and another e-mail to the co-room mom about us each helping every other week instead of us being in the classroom at the same time.  

Aahhhhh....  That feels much better.  

At least until I remember that I have a playdate tomorrow, a brunch for my trip Thursday morning, Anna's dance class Thursday from 4:15 - 5:00, Curriculum Night/Open House for Anna's class Thursday immediately following dance...

Okay, so maybe I won't be able to take a deep breath until this weekend.

WHAT?!  That's how many days away?!

*sigh*

signature