Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Generations - Part 2

As promised, here is the next installment of my favorite pictures.

These are all pictures of my dad's parents, Bob and Maggie. I'm so blessed to have known and grown up with all 4 of my grandparents! My Grandpa Johnson was such a sweet man and had a wonderful sense of humor. My Grandma Johnson, who just passed away last summer, was a firecracker! She loved gardening, cooking, sewing and watching birds. She was great at all of those things!

This is a picture of my grandfather and his brother-in-law; my Grandpa is on the right and SO handsome! He was born and raised in Tennessee and moved to Detroit with his brother when he was just a teenager.



A neighbor friend of theirs took this picture of them and it's probably my favorite.


Grandpa served in the Coast Guard during World War II and my grandmother followed him from station to station.


Some of the things I remember most about my grandmother are: her plastic covered ottoman, polyester, playing solitaire on said ottoman, and when she would go through weeks and weeks of cooking batches of zucchini bread, bran muffins, caramel corn, etc..



I wish I knew where this picture was taken. I just love that he looks quite at home with these two silly statues!



This one is probably one of the last ones of them together in their farmhouse in Addison, Michigan. They worked so hard on that house and in that yard! He leveled an old rotten barn in the back and together they planted an enormous vegetable and flower garden. It was a wonderful place to spend the summer! We loved the baby chickens and riding with Grandpa on the riding lawnmower.


No comments: