Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Just a quiet evening ... until....buzzzz...

What is the first thing you think of when I say the word "summer"?
  • beach?
  • sun?
  • heat?
  • dreaded swimsuit season?
Perhaps words like
  • watermelon
  • Independence Day
  • bees
  • or sweat come to mind.

If I asked you, "What is your favorite thing about summer?"  I would expect answers like, "No schedules."  or  "Family vacations".  

But for my Brian,...his favorite summer pastime is...

Fly Massacres!  He absolutely despises having a fly in the house.  Especially at night when we're trying to read or watch television.

And this year he has decided that, in order to make it more exciting and fulfilling ,that we are going to name each "kill" similar to the naming process that The National Weather Service provides during hurricane season.   Each fly will be named according to the alphabet and we will designate a gender for each victim (Brian volunteered me to do the naming).

So far?  He has killed and gleefully squashed -
  1. Antonio and
  2. Beatrice.
And last night he relayed Beatrice's demise to me this way as he emerged from the death chamber (he always lures them into the bathroom by turning off the bedroom lights and only leaving on the bathroom lights and closes the door so they can't escape):

             "That was the COOLEST  kill  EVER!     No kidding!  It landed on this water bottle [holding up the bottle so I can see] and I shook the fly off into the sink and it bounced up and started to fly away.  Then I swung at it with the fly swatter and actually CUT  IT  IN  HALF while it was in midair!!!   It was like something out of a kung-fu movie!"

The reenactment.

I don't know how you spend your summer evenings but this is a regular occurrence around here.  ; )

My hero.  Saving me from the evil flies.
signature